Tuesday, November 19, 2013

we are water

I just finished reading "we are water" by Wally Lamb and I have to be honest. At times, I felt like I was reading two different books. It started out really well and I found it difficult to put down but at times it dragged on and I was overcome by all of the details. Parts of the storyline were quite disturbing as well and I am choosing not to divulge it now so as not to give it away to anyone who has yet to read the book.
" Il destino mischia le carte, ma siamo noi a giocare la partita.
Destiny shuffles the cards, but we are the ones who must play the game."
One of the quotes I enjoyed was found on page 21 and the other one can be found on page 519 :
"Look back on the past but don't stare."
Who else has read this book ?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I certainly did not read that book (yet at least) as I still feel like there are way to many major classic pieces of literature that am yet to get acquainted with. I do wish to thank you for sharing and bringing this one to my attention though.

    It happend so that the last two non-mandatory books I've experienced were the "Shantaram" and the "Gravity's Rainbow". The reason why I am mentioning this is that they both seem to be well known in the US and I wonder if their popularity is comparable to that of "We are water".

    I am really really curious to learn how this book came to be within your sight and on your reading list. Did some other book lead you to it, was it a local Connecticut "must know" type thing or was it a random pick? I see that Wally Lamb has made a New York Times bestseller at one point and gained some fame otherwise, did that play a role?

    ReplyDelete