Thursday, April 30, 2015

Our Brides On Broadway Vow Renewal Couple

So here we go folks ! We have chosen a fabulous couple to be a part of the very first Brides on Broadway taking place on Saturday May 16th. Here is their love story told by Elisabeth, the lucky bride, to their children. The pictures were taken on their first visit to all of the fabulous shoppes in Walnut Beach !!!

How I Met Your Father

Telling my kids how my husband Don and I met and fell in love never seemed
like it would be of interest. I imagined Edward would cover his ears as he does
 at every mention of the word "romance". Bella would roll her eyes, I was sure
of it. But then I realized, it's not just the story of us. It's the beginning of them.
And  zombies, sharks, and secrecy were involved. So they liked it and it has stayed
 fresh in my minds since.

Don and I met in college. He was from LA and I was from CT (NY originally). I
had planned for a year or so. He decided at the last minute.
We had both some how ended up in the same class.

My first impression of Donny was he was a big, tough looking guy. And nowhere
near my type. I'm not even sure I had a type.( He's my only type now)

I didn't really want to date, let alone get married and have kids anytime in
the near future. My dad told me to always have a plan, and I did. The only thing
on my 19 year old mind was getting through school and starting my career
...I was struggling.

Donny had started a study group, so I joined. Slowly but surely, I started to
learn that he was a real sweetheart. And the most responsible and stable 21
 year old man I'd ever met.

I had a horrible egg-like Ford Taurus that kept breaking down. A classmate told
me Donny was good with cars, but I hated asking for help. One day I broke down right near his place. So I basically had to knock on his door that Saturday
 morning. He answered in his robe, grumbled something, and went to make
coffee. I don't remember the details of that day, other than we ended up talking
for a while and he begrudgingly helped me with my car. I left thinking he hated me.


A couple of classmates had pointed out that Donny was staring at me in class.
.Often. I just thought it was odd. It never occurred to me that he was all that
 interested in me romantically. But to be quite honest, I would have to be
hit over the head by any man who was interested. It just wasn't on my radar.
...Stick to the plan.

Maybe a month later, a big group of us were planning to go to Universal Studios
 for "Halloween Horror Night". Donny was kind of organizing the whole thing
and I think he called me once or twice to confirm the details. Which I observed
as "nice" and "efficient". These were the days before Facebook and texting.



So the plan was to meet at the entrance to the Jaws ride. I made my way through
zombies and other creatures in the Central Florida humidity. Suddenly, I see
see Donny just standing there, hands in pockets, sheepish grin. I can't say
for sure there was a glow around him, but I'd like to think there was. And that
was the moment I realized this was not just some guy. This was the guy I'd marry.


I learned later that Donny secretly planned that whole night just to spend time
me. ;)

Unabashedly, I pretended to be scared of zombies for the rest of the night. He
held my hand, and never let go. And so the girl with all the plans of moving
back to the east coast had a new plan.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have made it through school without him. We
moved to LA, got married, had a baby, moved back to the east coast, had another
 baby. And those babies I never dreamed of, and the husband I never knew I needed,
are everything to me. Everything.

The moral of the story is something I tell my kids often: Always have a plan...
 But someone else out there might have an even better one for you !

No comments:

Post a Comment